Here's Proof That First Dates You Think Will Suck Can Actually Turn Out Really Well

14:13 cherishe 0 Comments

First dates are such a crapshoot. Even if you appear to have a connection with someone on Tinder before finally meeting in person, your date could suck IRL. Perhaps he's not as funny on the fly as he is via text, or he gets just a little too drunk in front of you and dominates the conversation with his slurred words. After having a terrible first date like that, it's easy to throw your hands up in the air, sigh loudly to yourself, and wonder, “Are first dates always awkward?”

Luckily for you, the answer is no. First dates can be many things: boring as hell, fun even though you know you won't see them ever again, just meh — or, you know, the start of your forever.

Yes, sometimes, first dates can surprise you. Maybe the Tinder match with whom you have monotonous texts shows you a brand new side of them in real life. Or maybe someone you didn't think you'd ever see as more than a friend suddenly gives you butterflies in your stomach.

That's what happened to these women on Reddit, who revealed the first dates they thought were going to suck, but actually turned out great. Use these stories as inspiration to GET OUT THERE, and be ready for any surprises that may come your way.

This woman expected her date to be boring.

I was expecting it to be very boring to be honest. He was nice in his messages but the conversation wasn't scintillating. I hadn't felt a spark and his photos were blurry and average at best. I'd scheduled it because I'd had a couple of dates with another guy and I was feeling very freaked out by him to be honest – he was too full on and intense, very needy after a couple of dates, so I scheduled a date with someone else as a diversionary tactic and to remind myself that we were in the very early stages of dating, no commitment required.

Christ, it was like a thunderbolt. We just got on so well. We couldn't take our eyes off each other, we talked and talked and just… clicked. He was so respectful as well, he just got it. When the hour got late, and I was feeling very hungry and tired, he got it and we went home separately. All I had to say was "I'm sorry, I'm getting really tired and hungry." and he went "No problem, I'll let you get home!" It was such a relief. No pouting, no "Already?!", no "Can't you stay a bit longer?", no "But we can eat here, I insist, I'll pay!" etc. etc. I kissed him, he didn't kiss me. He confessed afterwards he would never have dared because "he didn't want to pressure me about it." Which makes him so much more attractive and sweet imo.

It brought home as well how much I really didn't like the other guy so I dumped him the day after.

/u/Frogthumper

This woman expected someone really, really shy.

Tinder date. As fate would have it, we had spoken for 6 weeks before meeting.

He was lovely and I was keen but he had let me know he was shy and that he wanted to work on his face-to-face communication skills.

I expected a really shy guy, so I came armed with light getting to know you questions. I am a trained counsellor and figured the first meeting might be a bit of making him feel comfortable, not putting too much pressure on him, but rather thinking how i could support him in not being too nervous. I spent so much time googling 'getting to know you questions'.

None of it mattered because I couldn't shut him up. It was so natural and just flowed. The restaurant had to beg us to leave so they could close. I asked him about it much later, and he said he was surprised as he had never talked that much in his life.

A year later he asked me to marry him. So I'd say it went pretty well!

/u/SoftApricot

This woman wrote off her date for being super late.

We met on bumble. I had been through a laundry list of awful dates and wasn't expecting anything. He was a little late too so I pretty much had written it off and decided he wasn't gonna call or come out, or try to "reschedule" but then he called and said he was on his way and got held up at work, which I knew was true because of the nature of his job. We met at a parking lot close by and went to get really good food. Great conversation the entire time. Left the restaurant and it was pretty late. But he parked his car and we talked for maybe 2 or 3 hours about life. Then he dropped me back off at my car. He hugged me and turned to walk away and I turned back and kissed him goodnight. It was the best first date I had ever had.

/u/Blondefirecracker14

This woman tried not to let her feelings be known.

I had a massive crush on my now-bf. we went on hike together and the whole time I was just convincing myself not to do anything stupid because I was worried he didn't feel the same way since we had just been good friends for a few years. when we got to the end of the hike we were standing in front of a huge waterfall, I was distracted by it and all of a sudden his arm was around me. went 110% better than expected.

/u/grosslymediocre

This woman literally almost died.

Met my bf for the first time at his house at midnight. In the middle of frickin no where. I thought he lived with his parents (we were 19 and 20) but there was only one car in the drive. I pull in to the drive and the front porch light is flickering on and off and the front door opens just a bit and he sticks his head out -think of the shining scene where his head pokes through and he has that grin on his face- and then his yorkie came running out barking at me and bit my ankle. I thought that was going to die right then and there but I went inside anyway and actually had the best night ever. We shared our first kiss that night and we talked until the sun came up. What could have been the worst and last night of my life, was one of the best.

/u/reenuhh

This woman felt some unexpected feelings.

I guess it wasn't technically a "date," but the first time my boyfriend and I ever hung out one-on-one (we were friends for years before we dated and hung out in groups but we always had this kinda unspoken thing for each other, yet timing was never right) he came over one night and we walked to this playground I used to go to when I was a kid. It has this almost hammock like structure made of old tires, and we just kinda laid next to each other and just talked for HOURS and the entire time I was just like "Oh god oh god what is happening" and my heart was racing so loudly and I was SO SURE all night he was going to hold my hand or make a move and he didn't!!! It's better that he didn't because I was dating someone else (entirely wrong for me) but I remember thinking that was the first time in a long time that I was able to just talk with a guy and actually felt like I was being listened to. We got together a year later, and have been together for 4 years and I STILL feel like I'm actually being listened to! So that all definitely went way better than I expected it to 🙂

/u/dailydoseofDANax

This woman judged her date too quickly.

Went out with a 30 year old guy who lived with his parents, didn't have a job, was openly a super religious virgin, and got attached WAY too quick. Over text he was like fawning over me.

On the date I expected him to be annoying and immature, etc. but actually we had an amazing conversation for over 2 hours, and I actually gained feelings for him after that, when over text he was really annoying me. Turns out his parents were just super well-off and he was working on some projects to set himself up to carry on the family business. Only thing I guess was weird was the virgin thing but his choice. I had a kid and he didn't care. He seemed to actually really like me.

/u/slanid

This woman's mom friend requested her OkCupid date on Facebook.

OkCupid. Talked to the guy for a few days. My mom did an embarrassing thing and friended him on FB so she and her friends can spy. He accepted the request and asked me out on a date later that day. On the date my mom's coworker recognized me at the bar and had to say hi and that he wasn't spying. Eventually we moved to the outside tables. Then went for a drive in his car. Then went to his house where I met his dad in his underwear in the kitchen late night snacking. Guy and me watched an episode of game of thrones awkwardly and then he brought me back to my car.

We've been together 4 years. Moved in together and have a dog.

/u/MrHydra

This woman didn't think her now-boyfriend was a very sexual person.

My current SO was a good friend for at least a year, so I knew him well and had seen some green and some red flags. Wanna know the red ones?

For example, we used to have dinner like twice a week, and two months before our relationship actually started, he said he wouldn't be able to meet me for a while because he was busy. He didn't specify the "while" so I absolutely thought, okay, here's my sign, I have to get over it. Turns out, he really was busy.

Also, in our friend group, most guys were single and constantly talking about girls and exes and dating and what they wished from a girl and bla. Nothing came from him. And he looks really georgeous and is a great guy, so why no woman in the picture, ever? Gay? Asexual? Who knows? Turns out, he has had girlfriends in the past, just not much. He just wasn't looking for a relationship and needs to connect with a girl before starting to have feelings before starting to go after her.

He also is really sporty and does sports daily. I am not really a couch potatoe, but definitely not into sports (more like "going for a long walk" kind of girl). But that turned out fine. We both accept each other and that's never been a problem. When he runs, I come and cycle next to him.

/u/_PurplePie_

Love is all around us, you guys. You just gotta be open to finding it.

Check out the “Best of Elite Daily” stream in the Bustle App for more stories just like this!

Subscribe to Elite Daily's official newsletter, The Edge, for more stories you don't want to miss.

Here's Proof That First Dates You Think Will Suck Can Actually Turn Out Really Well



Credit: Dating – Elite Daily

0 comments: